Friday, March 2, 2007

Month One: October 6th - November 6th 2006

Once my mother had left and it was only Rahav, Dante and I the profound understanding of what being a parent means set in. You really do have to figure it out day by day by trial and error. In the beginning Dante slept, nursed and hung out with us like a cute couch ornament. Every day was exactly the same yet I felt so alive. The days would come and go with nothing major to report, a loud burp here and a gigantic poop there. Rahav and I kept mostly to ourselves; only we could rejoice in the little daily surprises. The outside world could melt away for all I cared. The best way to describe my mental state that first month was living in a bubble. I couldn't think or dream of doing or being anywhere else.

Before I had Dante I thought babies slept all day. True and not true. Ours would only sleep in thirty minute intervals and then be up and down like a light switch. So much for the projects I had in mind to work on during my four month maternity leave. I was lucky if I got a shower and left the house. I started to really enjoy Dante once I resigned myself to being a mother full time. Nothing else mattered and he was my job. It took some getting used to since I'm the independent type that likes to do things on my time; be social when I want and retreat when I want too. Not anymore and the sooner I understood that the better for everyone.

For the first month not much happened. Luckily, the weather was amazingly beautiful and we were fortunate to have spring like weather and sunshine almost every day. After two weeks or so, Rahav returned to work, physically, at least. Dante and I spent our days strolling around the East Village and having lunch with daddy or friends. And that's pretty much it. I loved the idea of not having to be anywhere or do anything except care for my baby son. He was my whole world. It Rocked!

No comments: